Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Song from Back in the Day

There are very few Christian artists today whose careers outlast the “new artist” buzz. Whatever happened to Big Tent Revival? What about that swing/ska group called The W’s? I could name many, many more who got their equivalent of 15 minutes of fame and then went on to join the rest of Contemporary Christian Music’s has-beens.

However, one such artist has always occupied a little special corner of my heart, and that is Nikki Leonti. “Who?” some may respond. That’s okay. Sometimes, the more unknown, the more special . . . or something like that. Anyway, the song that I think she is (or was) most well known for was titled “Everlasting Place.” Don’t you wanna come with me/ To an everlasting place?/ No tears, no pain, forever we’ll remain . . . okay. But anyway, the song that always stuck with me was one that was not as popular, called “It Will Come to You.” Not only does she have a nice voice, but also the lyrics to the song have always uplifted me and warmed my heart when I’ve been feeling like I have been lately. In fact, I had this crazy idea that I was going to get online and hunt down the soundtrack so that I could sing it at church or something one day. I got desperate and emailed one of the representatives of her label, Pamplin Records, asking if there were any soundtracks available of that particular song. I got a reply, and the person told me that there never was a soundtrack made of “It Will Come to You” and that all of Leonti’s stuff was being sold out and discontinued, etc., but that they did have a book left over of all the sheet music (piano, voice, and guitar) of all of her songs. They sent it to me for free. I still haven’t sat down to pick out the piano part, and that was several years ago, but oh, well. I still have the song downloaded and I just finished listening to it, and I know things are going to be okay.

Verse: I know you’re waiting/ For the light at the end/ Of this tunnel that you’re going through/ Anticipating/ What lies round the bend/ Wondering what he has in store for you/ Rest in His will/ Keep the faith in prayer until you see what He provides.

Chorus: It will come to you/ Like a beacon into view/ There’s a light that will shine through/ It will come to you/ Seek Him first in all you do/ And when you least expect it to, it will come to you.

Verse: Looking back through/ The pages of your past/ There’s a story of His faithfulness/ When you come to/ The chapter’s end at last/ You will see it turn out for the best/ It will be alright/ Even in the darkest night, just hold out for the dawn. Chorus a couple more times. End.

No comments: